Author Topic: Husband charged with the first murder in coronavirus lockdown after wife's....  (Read 1384 times)

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/husband-charged-first-murder-coronavirus-21781045?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=EM_Mirror_Nletter_DailyNews_News_smallteaser_Image_Story2&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter

Husband charged with the first murder in coronavirus lockdown after wife's body found

Ruth Williams was found unconscious and unresponsive at her home in Brynglas, Cwmbran, on Saturday morning. Anthony Williams has appeared at Cardiff Magistrates' Court today

By Joseph Wilkes Reporter
17:52, 30 MAR 2020

A 69-year-old man is accused of murdering his "lovely" wife at their home over the first weekend of the coronavirus lockdown.  Police were called to the property just before 7 am on Saturday where they found grandmother Ruth Williams unconscious and unresponsive after an alleged late-night row with her husband of 44 years with whom she had been self-isolating.  Tony Williams was arrested and has appeared in court charged with his 67-year-old wife's murder.  Williams appeared before Cardiff Magistrates’ Court today and spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address.  Gwent Police said they were called to the couple's address in Brynglas, Cwmbran, at about 6.50 am on Saturday.  Ruth, who was discovered unconscious and unresponsive, was taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport where she was pronounced dead.  Williams is accused of murdering his wife on Saturday.  Ben Williams, defending, said: "They were in a loving 44-year marriage her death is a mystery."

Retired construction worker and engineer Williams of Brynglas, Hollybush, Cwmbran, was remanded in custody by District Judge Stephen Harmes and is due to appear at Cardiff Crown Court tomorrow.  Local councillor Ron Burnett said: "It's a huge shock to everybody. We just can't get our heads around it.  I know them personally and so I find it all very upsetting - I don't want to talk about it but my condolences go out to the family.  They were a well-known family. Ruth worked in Asda for many, many years and I'm sure this will come as a big shock to everybody."

It is understood former ASDA supermarket worker Ruth received her injures several hours before a 999 call was made from the couple's £160,000 semi-detached home on Brynglas Estate.  The retired couple had a daughter Emma, 40.  She attended the brief hearing but was not allowed into court because of coronavirus restrictions. She was later briefed by the judge.  Caring Ruth had offered to help neighbours during the lockdown but the pair decided to then self-isolate because of their age.  Neighbours said they had lived in the house for 20 years.  The neighbour on the close-knit estate said: "This is such a shock. They had lived here for a long time.  I hadn't seen them for a while but everybody around here seems to be in isolation.  Police have been here all over the weekend carrying out searches at the home. It's a real tragedy."

More than 100 tributes were paid to Ruth describing her as a "lovely and kind" mum.  A neighbour said: "She was a smart and attractive woman with a great sense of humour.  She always had a smile on her face and a little twinkle in her eye it's such a shock that she had gone.  She and her husband seemed devoted to each other, there was nothing to say this was going to happen."

The tragedy happened in the Aneurin Bevan University Health Board area which has one of the UK's worst coronavirus areas outside London with 514 confirmed cases.  An Asda spokesman said Ruth had been a popular worker at the supermarket until her retirement two years ago.  He said: "Ruth was a much-loved member of the team at the Cwmbran store and all of our thoughts are with her family and friends at this time, she is sorely missed by all of us that knew her.’’