Author Topic: Long Lost Family hidden daughter exposed to siblings by guests at mum's funeral  (Read 1362 times)

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/long-lost-family-hidden-daughter-24771039

Long Lost Family hidden daughter exposed to siblings by guests at mum's funeral

Steve Austin and Moira Tonge only found each other as adults, then discovered a bombshell about another mystery sibling when their mother passed away

By Kyle O'Sullivan TV Features Writer

20:00, 16 Aug 2021

Long-lost siblings Steve Austin and Moira Tonge had no idea the other existed and finally found each others as adults but the bombshells didn't stop there.  They discovered another family secret that would change their lives forever when guests started talking at their mother's funeral.  Steve and Moira are incredibly close now, but didn't meet for over two decades because he was adopted as a baby.  Now 55, Steve explains he had a very happy childhood with his adoptive parents and there wasn't a day that went by where he didn't feel loved or wanted.  As time went on he wanted to find out where he came from and 30 years ago started searching for his birth mother, Mavis Eglington, who he traced using the phone book.  Not only did Steve managed to meet his mother, but he also discovered he had half-sister Moira who lived just a few miles away.  Moira, 52, was brought up by mum Mavis and her father but had never been told she had an older half-brother.  Remembering the first time they met on tonight's Long Lost Family, she says: "Steve came into my life when I was about 22.  I came home and there were no introductions, but when I walked over to Steve and threw my arms around him, I just knew that this was my brother."

The siblings have been inseparable ever and Steve had a strong relationship with his birth mother and half-sister for the next 20 years.  However, when Mavis died in 2020 another bombshell secret came to light when guests at her funeral asked the pair if they had "told Caroline".  Lots of people were talking about the mysterious Caroline, so Steve did some digging and discovered it was the name of Mavis' older child.  Looking back, Steve reveals: "It was the bombshell. It was, “My goodness, we’ve got an older sister'".

Four years before Steve was born, 19-year-old Mavis gave birth to Caroline and also had her adopted.  "The thought of our mum being all alone giving birth to a daughter, our sister who she's given up," says a tearful Steve. "Just heartbreaking. I feel for everybody."

Moira says there is no doubt in her mind that if her mother had had it in her power she would have kept Steve and Caroline.  "Very sad but on the other hand it's wonderful to see our sister does exist," says Moira. "I want to be able to tell Caroline what an amazing individual mum was and know she is loved."

Knowing exactly what it's like to be in that position, Steve explains he just wants to know Caroline is happy and healthy.  United in their mission, Steve and Moira are determined to find Caroline and bring her into the family so they can be a trio.  The Long Lost Family took up the search and used an intermediary to access the name change of their elder sister, but unusually her first name hadn't changed.  They searched public records using her new name, Caroline Byass, and remarkably it came up with just four results.  Caroline was found living in Steppingley in Bedfordshire and gets a visit from Long Lost Family presenter Nicky Campbell.  The 59-year-old, who admits she is shocked to be found, was told she was adopted by her biological parents at a young age and always struggled with feeling like she fit in.  "I couldn't take it in, that I was wanted or that anybody would go to that length to actually try and find me," says Caroline.

Extraordinarily, Caroline reveals that it's believed her birth mother tried to keep her for six weeks and there are tear marks where Mavis had to sign her name on the adoption papers.  "She must have had to sacrifice so much so it must have been painful for her," admits Caroline, who bursts into tears when she sees photos of Mavis and her half-siblings for the first time.

They have sent Caroline a heartwarming letter - and she claims "wild horses" would have to stop her meeting them.  Meanwhile, Davina McCall tells overjoyed Steve and Moira the incredible news that they have found Caroline.  Steve says: "We just want to embrace her. I can’t wait to meet Caroline. It's incredible."

Caroline travels down from Bedfordshire to join her family for an emotional reunion in a park near where Steve and Moira live.  They immediately share a massive hug and tearful Caroline says: "Don’t let me go. God it's been such a long time."

Caroline, who is amazed she has the same eyes as Moira, explains: "I feel like I finally belong. It feels like everything I wanted has suddenly come together in one hit. I’m absolutely exhausted but over the moon."

While Moira says: "Caroline is coming into our fold and we can take our next steps on our journey wherever that may lead us. I think it’s, it’s wonderful."

In agreement, Steve adds: "This is not the end. This is the start of something."

The three siblings are in constant contact and have already been on a family picnic together.