Author Topic: ‘Mermaid’ baby dies in his father’s arms at just one day old  (Read 586 times)

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
https://en.stories.newsner.com/family/miracle-baby-born-like-a-mermaid-dies-in-his-fathers-arms-at-just-one-day-old/?fbclid=IwAR0q-bDho3e43ql7ijXM-wQMsFX_RmiNepq3eJ-8w2Ck9tqReIj2ErI2nA8

‘Mermaid’ baby dies in his father’s arms at just one day old
Newsner

February 17, 2020

Becoming a parent is truly one of life’s biggest blessings. Being able to share all your love with a baby, to see them grow up and explore the world for themselves, is something that’s hard to describe.  But unfortunately, some parents never get a chance to experience all this.  Joseph Shaw was a miracle baby for parents Stefan and Chelby; he was born weighing just two pounds with his legs fused together.  Sadly, this sweet baby would only live to be held in the arms of his parents for one day before he passed. He was born seven weeks early and without kidneys, bowels, or genitals.  The parents first understood something was wrong at the 20-week ultrasound. Then, the doctors told Stefan and Chelby that their precious baby didn’t have kidneys and that there was fluid in the amniotic sac.  As you can understand, this was a terrible thing to hear and a massive shock for the parents. Going into an ultrasound, you must always be prepared to hear something that might leave you nervous or sad but this was something else. The doctors basically said that Stefan and Chelbys child wasn’t going to make it.  "We thought the worst but he made it three months more,” Stefan said. “Doctors were shocked he survived so long.”

Joseph Shaw was born in February 2020, and he came into this world seven weeks early. Chelby went to the hospital for a scan, but the doctors saw some worrying signs and decided that Joseph had to be born via emergency c-section.  First-time dad Stefan, from Derbyshire, England, said he arrived at the hospital after his son was born.  “When I got to the hospital they said that from the waist down Joseph was like a fish,” the 26-year-old told Derbyshire Live.

Joseph was born without kidneys, bowels, or genitals.  He passed away soon after his birth.  “I had never seen a baby like my son. He was like a mermaid, he was a unique, beautiful baby boy.”

Joseph’s parents were able to baptize him but he had to be closely monitored during the ceremony.  “They had to pump air into him while he was being christened to keep him alive,” Stefan said, according to The Sun newspaper.

“We stood around our miracle baby, had him christened for his last precious moments before we had to let him go.  While I was holding him they took the tube out of his mouth and he died in my arms.  It was very heartbreaking and extremely hard to let go of something that meant the world to you.”